7/11/2008

Are You Ready?

Are You Ready?

You go to church regularly.
You're a good parent.
You are honest in business.
You read the Bible regularly
You say Grace before each meal.


Have I described you? You're ready then, right?

I'll bet you could even add a few items to the list above. And anyone will agree that you are in the front half of the line headed for the Golden Gates of Heaven.

No doubt about it - you're ready. Right?

So we've compared you with other Christians in your acquaintance. That should be a good guide. That should close the case. Right?

If you are comfortable with your position, then you might as well set this brochure aside, or hand it to someone you think isn't ready.

But if you aren't so sure, read on and we will compare your position to what Jesus and the Bible has to say about being ready.

John 11:25Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: 26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

So, believing is all it takes. Sounds easy enough. Let's see if there is any more.

John 5: 25Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live. 26 For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;
29And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life, and they that have done evil, to the resurrection of damnation.

And we have to do good. Well, we've already stated that you do good things. Anything else?

Luke 14:26If any man cometh to me, and hate not his father, and mother and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. 27And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple. 28For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it?

33So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.

Ah-oh. Now we have to love Jesus more than anyone else. It's getting more difficult now. But what did He mean - "Hate your family?" In other places Jesus told us to even Love our Enemies. Maybe the original Greek will help us here. According to Strong's the word means to "persecute," or "detest." But thankfully there is another extension meaning, and that is to "love less." I don't know about you, but for myself, I'll take the final meaning.

The scripture also says to "Take up your cross." Does that mean we are to suffer like He did? Maybe even to die shamefully? Maybe it means we should be willing to do these things. That shouldn't be too difficult. But, what if the day comes that we are put to the test.....?

Jesus also said in the above that we should have considered all these things before we became Christians (I'm paraphrasing). Were any of us told about all this before we agreed? Is that a loophole do you think?

Let's see if there is anything more;

Luke 18: 18And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? 19And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? None is good, save one, that is, God. 20Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother. 21And he said, All these have I kept from my youth up. 22Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me. 23And when he heard this, he was very sorrowful: for he was very rich. 24And when Jesus saw that he was very sorrowful, he said, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God! 25For it is easier for a camel to go through a needle's eye, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. 26And they that heard it said, Who then can be saved? 27And he said, The things which are impossible with men are possible with God. 28Then Peter said, Lo, we have left all, and followed thee. 29And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or parents, or brethren, or wife, or children, for the kingdom of God's sake, 30Who shall not receive manifold more in this present time, and in the world to come life everlasting.

So now we have the Ten Commandments to follow (or at least part of them). Also there are things to do as well. It seems to be rather deep water we have entered.

And after we do all the doing, it appears that we have to give everything we have to the poor. Has any of us done that? Perhaps Jesus meant to be willing to give up everything like the so many say. After all, I have yet to see a minister without a car or TV.

Then, He said, we are to follow Him? How do we do that? We can't physically follow Him like the disciples did. And, as a matter of fact, they were no longer able to follow Him physically either shortly after He said this. Could He have meant to listen to His voice? Or the urging of the Holy Spirit? Maybe He meant we should do as He did while He was on earth. What do you think?

He also told the disciples that it is difficult for a rich man to enter Heaven. Who is rich? None of the rich men of His day had a Cadillac, or a 50' screen TV, or a laptop computer. Since the man (and we) was supposed to sell everything, is it possible that anything we are unwilling to let go of (including our family, according to the previous scripture) is considered as "riches?"

Perhaps this will clarify:

Matt 6: 19Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: 20But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: 21For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

And;

Gal 6: 14:But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

That's a hard one. Let's go one more.

John 17: 13 And now come I to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves. 14I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

20Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; 21That they all may be one; as thou. Father, art in me; and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. 22And the glory which thou gavest me, I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: 23I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

It looks like there is some more yet. As I read this, we are to be so different from the world (normal people who are not converted) and we will be hated by them. Are you hated? Of course, earlier we discovered that "Hate" also means "Love less." However it appears to me that in the case of Jesus and all His disciples, as well as the early Christians -- He meant "Persecuted and despised."

He also said that He was giving us His "Glory." Do you find any Glory in yourself? Of course He might have just been referring to the Apostles, though He did say that He was not only praying for them, but for all who would hear and believe.

Matt 7: 12Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets. 13Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 14Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
15Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. 16Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? 17Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. 18A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. 19Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. 20Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
2 1Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? And in thy name have cast out devils? And in thy name done many wonderful works? 23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity
Here we have more verses talking about our works. (As I see it, also called "fruit.") But didn't the Bible say we were saved by Grace, not works?

Eph 2: 8For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9Not of works, lest any man should boast. 10For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

I thought so, it does say that we are saved by Grace. But the way I interpret these verses, we are saved by Grace - but for the purpose of doing works. Maybe that has something to do with this verse :

Phil 2: 12work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. 13For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

14Do all things without murmurings and disputings: 15That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;

There it is. But along with it is the evidence that it is not us that is supposed to do the work, but rather God working through us. I suppose that is what is meant by Jesus saying:

John 15: 1 I am the true vine, and my father is the husbandman. 2Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. 3Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. 4Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. 5I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. 6If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. 7If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. 8Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.

There's "fruit" again. And it sounds to me as if those who don't produce fruit will be cast out and burned. That doesn't sound so good to me. It sounds a lot like what is going to happen to the Great Unsaved. And He added that those who do produce fruit will be "purged." That sounds kind of painful to me. Not at all like the "Peace and Prosperity" messages that is used to get people to come to the alter. Let me take a look and see what "Purge" means in the Greek.

Strong's tells us it means to "Cleanse," or to "Prune." Here is something that may help clarify the meaning;

Psalm 79: 9Help us, O God of our salvation, for the glory of thy name: and deliver us, and purge away our sins, for thy name's sake.

So it appears that sin is what is pruned away so God can bear fruit through us.

Matt 5: 14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. 15Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. 16Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Here we have works again. And added to works is that we are to be a light unto the world. Do you feel like a light unto the world? I wonder what we are supposed to use for fuel. We certainly can't be expected to use ourself for fuel. Maybe this will shed a little light on the subject;

Matt 6: 22The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light. 23But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darknes. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!
Perhaps these will help clarify it a little more;

John 8: 12Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
Also;

John 1: 1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2The same was in the beginning with God. 3All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
5And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. 6There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the light, that all men through him might believe. 8He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. 9That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. 10He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. 11He came unto his own, and his own received him not. 12But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

So it appears that the light we are to show to the world comes from God, or more specifically, Jesus Christ. And that He is also to be the source of our works. But what are those works we are to perform?

John 3: 12Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do;

Mark 16: 17And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; 18They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Wow!! I don't know about you, but I'm a long ways from any of that! I wonder if a Good Deed a day will suffice?

Now, I know there are people even today who can do many of those things - and some, according to sources, are not very Godly people at that:

Matt 7: 21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

I only see few instances of these being done by the early Christians. Even those who lost everything for the Name of Jesus. And I wonder if those who were thrown to the lions were able to drink poison? Jesus did say that these things will be done in "My name," that might help clarify His statement. I know that Paul was stoned to death, then stood up and walked away. However Timothy didn't.

Maybe this will help;

John 14: 10Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

12Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. 13And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

21He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him. 23Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

26But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things,

There's a lot in those final words of Jesus. But if the answer to my question is there, I think I missed it. I have a suspicion though. It may be that we don't experience those signs because we don't make it a practice to drink deadly poison, or to play with venomous snakes. As for healing, who can say for sure? I mean, when was the last time you laid hands on someone to try to heal them?

And after all, we often hear about people being miraculously healed from some disease or another, but only when they need it. We don't seek healing when we are healthy. Perhaps you have such a story yourself.

Also, there is this scripture to help understand what Jesus meant;

1Cor 12: 7But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withall 8For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues; 11But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

27Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular. 28And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. 29Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? 30Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

By the verses above, I gather that what Jesus was talking about is Gifts of the Spirit. Some, like drinking poison and such we rarely need. Besides, Jesus didn't say that we wouldn't die - in fact the Bible makes it very clear that we will die. And that those who die for Him, and those who endure to the end, are the ones who will reap the rewards and will rule with Him.

Mark 13: 9But take heed to yourselves: for they shall deliver you up to councils; and in the synagogues ye shall be beaten: and ye shall be brought before rulers and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them.

13And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Rev 20: 4And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God,

6Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

2 Tim 2: 11It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him: 12If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

I ask again; Are you ready?

My thought is - Who could be?

But before drawing any conclusions, lets see if there is anything else that might tell us if we are "in the sheepfold" or just wandering goats outside the fence.

John 6: 33These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

Phil 4: 6Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
8Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. 9Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

Rom 8:5For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
6For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. 8So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
9But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

How about this well-known scripture;

Psalm 23:1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

[Just in case you have ever wondered - the "rod" spoken of is for correction, for beatings. And the "staff" is for support when weak or weary. How many of us actually lend ourself to discipline so we can experience God's peace?]

Psalm 89:31If they break my statutes, and keep not my commandments:

32Then will I visit their transgression with the rod, and their iniquity with stripes.
33Nevertheless my lovingkindness will I not utterly take from him, nor suffer my faithfulness to fail.

So, are you ready?