6/08/2008

Blaming God

Blaming God


"It's Your fault," "It's my parent's fault," "It's not my fault."

Any of these sound familiar? They sure do to me. For any given situation I can think of several reasons that it wasn't my fault that something went wrong or that something bad happened. And as evidence, I can present sufficient proof to convince you, or any jury or judge that I couldn't possibly be at fault.

Besides that evidence, I can easily convince anyone with an open mind that I did everything I could possibly do to prevent the bad thing from happening. (It's probably quite obvious that I have certain things in mind as I write this.)

So why do I get blamed in spite of all of this? And why do I feel guilty anyway?

I've come to the conclusion... (What!? You always say that you never come to a conclusion or have the "answer!").

Correction; as I see it now [satisfied?], it seems to me that there are those who are not interested in the truth, but only that someone else (that means you or me) take the problem and/or responsibility off their hands, and take the blame so that none of it falls on them.

You might say they are looking for a scapegoat, someone to "frame."

In such a situation I find it best to say nothing, because nothing I say will do any good. In fact all protesting is only construed as defensiveness, which in turn is evidence of guilt.

I say I find the above to be the best recourse; I did not say that under pressure I am able to keep my mouth shut. Quite the contrary is true.

The above touches on responsibility and our relationship with one another. But what about the feeling of guilt?

For myself, I find two things at play, plus another that is even more important.

The first reason for guilt is fear that I will be blamed in spite of the obvious facts that I couldn't possibly be to blame. Is it paranoia on my part? Possibly. But there is also a possibility that it has something to do with it having happened to me many times in my life. (Many, many times.) And I am sure that I am not the only one who has had such experiences.

Reason number two is that regardless of how absurd the notion might be, I feel a sense of responsibility for the problem. (People starving in Africa? My fault, there must be something I'm supposed to do that if I did it the problem would disappear.)

Reason number three is the main one I wish to consider at this time.

I am a Christian. And since I have placed this search under the title of The Bible, I assume you who are reading it are Christians as well, or at least are curious about what I have to say about the Bible.

I pray for guidance. I tell God to lead my life and to do with it whatever He will. I tell Him that I have confidence that He will do what is best for me (that is, what is in His will), and I have been given plenty of evidence through the years that He does just that. Usually He has to do what is best for me in spite of my resistance and resentment.

I say I trust Him. I say I know He knows what is best for me. I say I know that nothing can happen to me but that He has ordained it and orchestrated it.

I say it;

Then I turn right around and blame everyone else for my "troubles."

If God is in fact controlling my circumstances, and nothing can happen to me without His consent -

Who am I actually blaming when things don't go the way I want them to?