6/07/2008

Found It!

FOUND IT!

1To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
2A time to be born, and a time to die; (Eccl 3:)


Have you ever noticed that once you find what you are looking for, you stop looking? Did you ever wonder why that is, and if it should be so?

"Come here, quick!"

"What is it, Hon? You sound frantic."

"I am frantic! I was dumping some garbage into the trash when my wedding ring fell off. Now I can't find it."

"That's no problem. The trash can isn't that big. We'll just dump the stuff out and look for it."

"You look for it. I've got to hurry to an important meeting. Be quick about it though, the trash man comes in about a half an hour."

"But! But! I....."

"See you tonight Dear."

"Oh, great! As if I had all day to rummage though garbage. I didn't lose the thing."


"A half hour I been digging through these chicken bones .... and there's the trash man now. I guess I'll just have to.... Ah! Here it is! I'll take the trash out, then shine this baby up for the little woman. Won't she be pleased."

"Well, did you find it Dear?

"I sure did, Hon. Here it is, good as new."

"Oh, good. Let me put it on my.... What's this? Is this a joke or something?"

"What do you mean? That's the ring you lost. I found it in the trash can like you said."

"Not this piece of junk. This is little Sissie's play ring. Can't you tell the difference between a thousand dollar diamond ring and a ten cent piece of plastic? You're the one who bought the thing, after all!"

"Well, I didn't know. You said 'find a ring', so I found a ring."

"Some genius you are. Oh well, I guess you'll just have to dig into that trash can again until you find the real thing."

"I can't."

"What do you mean, 'I can't'?"

"I mean, it's too late. The trash man came already and took all the garbage away!"

We stop looking when we think we've found what we're looking for.

* * *

We desire the best for ourselves.

We scrutinize the ingredients contained in the food we consume. We exercise our body in order to stay fit. We exercise our mind that it may serve us well.

But how much effort do we exercise in effort to assure our Eternal Soul?

Is it any wonder I keep harping about not settling on what you've found, or have been given? There will come a day when we will all hear; "It's too late."

For more on this subject, read: The Gold Mine, and
The Judgment.